1. It is a body contouring or sculpting procedure, not a weight losing or weight reduction treatment. Depending on the area or the number of areas to be liposuctioned, only 1000cc to 2000cc of fat can be safely removed.
2. If you are obese, you may be considered as a high risk candidate and may not qualify to undergo liposuction. The reason for this is that chronic medical conditions like diabetes, heart or coronary diseases, metabolic problems, etc. may be present. Effects of liposuction in obese may also not be appreciable. It is therefore recommended that patients with MBI of 30 or greater need to lose some weight to qualify to undergo Liposuction.
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
Overweight = 25–29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
How to compute your Body Mass Index:
BMI = (weight in pounds x 703)/(height in inches x height in inches)
Height – 5’8″ (68 inches)
Weight – 175 pounds
BMI = (175×703)/(68×68)
= 26.60 (Overweight) – Ok for Liposuction
3. Overzealous removal of fats by the surgeon may result to skin “rippling”. This is caused by excess fat removal making the skin very thin (having less fat) and thus cannula tracks under it become visible (the rippling or multiple wave effect).
This may be corrected (not completely) by RF (radio frequency) or mesotherapy treatments post-surgery. Being conservative is more prudent than being too aggressive.
4. Laboratory (blood exams) and ancillary procedures (X-ray and ECG) are usually requested by the cosmetic surgeon prior to liposuction. A cardio-pulmonary clearance from a cardiologist or pulmunologist is requested for those over 30 or 35 years of age. Those younger patients may undergo the same steps if the doctor find it necessary.
5. It will be more safe if your Cosmetic Surgeon is board certified and has a background in General Surgery as he may in good position to handle intra-operative complications especially in abdominal liposuction.
Head and neck
3. Neck x 2
1. Breasts x 2
2. Arms x 2
3. Upper back (wings) x 2
4. Mid-back (bra-line) x 2
5. Flanks (love-handles) x 2
6. Buttocks x 2
7. Hips (saddle-bags) x 2
8. Upper tummy
9. Lower tummy
10. Chest x 2
11. Front rib cage x 2
12. Inner thighs x 2
13. Front thighs x 2
14. Calves x 2
A. Initial consultation and assessment (30min)
B. Lab exams and medical clearance (3 hours)
C. Surgery day (usually next day)
Photo-taking and preparation (1 hour)
Liposuction (approx 30-45 minutes per body part)
Recovery room (3-4 hours for general anaesthesia)
Discharge (Overnight stay for 6 body parts and up)
D. First follow-up check-up after 3 days
E. Second follow-up for stitch removal
Liposuction is a cosmetic plastic surgical procedure for removing localized fat deposits in certain body parts using a cannula (tubular and hollow instrument inserted to the fat layer underneath the skin) attached to a vacuum.
This surgery may involve infiltration of a numbing solution (tumescent fluid) to the problem area/s then suctioning the fat mixture after several minutes. The tumescent fluid is important in several ways:
> It acts as a local anesthetic
> It helps soften the fat making it easier to suction
> Controls bleeding (mixture contains drug that constricts blood vessels).
Kinds of liposuction vacuum devise
2.Negative pressure applied by a syringe (Syringe liposuction)
Types of Liposuction
1. Tumescent or Wet Liposuction
2. Ultrasonic-assisted Liposuction - UAL (ie Vaser)
3. Laser-assisted Liposuction - LAL (ie Smart Lipo)
4. Power-assisted Liposuction - PAL (i.e. Micro-Aire)
5. Water Liposuction (Body Jet Lipo)
6. Radiofrequency Liposuction (Body Tite)
The Gold standard for liposuction that involves infiltration of “tumescent fluid” then suctioning the fat mixture with a cannula connected to a syringe or vacuum machine. This is also a part (first process of infiltrating numbing fluids) of most types of liposuction enumerated below.
Ultrasonic-assisted liposuction - UAL (VASER)
Involves insertion of an “ultrasonic probe” (the size of a cannula) as a pre-suction process that will “implode” then dissolve the fats in targeted areas making it easier for the surgeon to suction. Has the capability to tighten skin over the liposuctioned area. Advantage of being able to get stubborn fats with less trauma and faster recovery period.
Laser-assisted liposuction - LAL
Involves insertion of a “laser tip probe” to liquefy the fats. The area where the probe was inserted may be suctioned immediately or left for the body to metabolize and excrete for several weeks. May have issues of burning because of the heat emitted by the laser.
Power-assisted liposuction - PAL (Micro-Aire)
Also uses a probe that vibrates back and forth (reciprocating) at around 4000 cycles per minute. Partially breaks and loosens the fat while simultaneously being removed by the suctioning process. PAL has the ease in breaking hard fats in some specific body parts or in areas where a liposuction was already done in the past. Lesser bruising and shorter downtime.
Water Jet Liposuction
Uses a fine spray of water that comes out of the suction cannula to break up fatty deposits. The main benefit of this technique is that it requires less infiltration of fluid and allows for better assessment of the underlying fatty areas which are often masked by the large volume of fluid infiltrated.
This treatment is usually added to other types of liposuction to help tighten skin which occurs after extensive fat removal. It involves application of external RF probe to the skin after fats are suctioned.
In NEU Advanced Aesthetics Center, we employ the use of combination of these types of liposuction, specifically VASER and MICRO-AIRE to achieve the best outcome as possible with faster recovery time due to less trauma to the patient.
Call or message us for a FREE consultation and assessment.
+63 918 985 3668 (Viber/WhatsApp/KakaoTalk)
Book an appointment with Dr. Jaafar (use contact form or send a message to +63 9189853668 Viber/Whatsapp). Consultation is free.
Dr. Al Lee Jaafar, will personally do the procedure for you. He is the surgeon of Neu Advanced Aesthetics Centre in Centuria Medical Makati.
see more of his credentials
see his reviews
see his organisation